Thursday, August 5, 2010

I Made it Out !!

Bob & Karen Kopicko met me at the Fleetwood Diner in A2 before I left
Dear All:


Mackinaw Bridge
Yes, it took some time but I left A2 at about 2:30pm yesterday and spent the first night in a $38/night fleabag hotel (I used my own sleeping bag & pillow) in St. Ignace.  Soon after I had an evening swim in the dark the clouds let loose with a torrent and thunder clapped a God began bowling.  The thunderclaps seem to originate just east of Mackinaw Island and rolled across the sky towards St. Ignace and beyond.  It would have sounded comical were it not for the spirit which move it.

The line on the left going into The States was over a mile long ~ inching its way
Oh Canada!
They are particularly nasty at night - bold, not skittish like deer
Morning dawned clear as one might imagine after a storm (common for the UP) like that and I headed towards Saulte St. Marie well rested and with a full tank of gas.  Cars were lined up across the bridge exactly one mile heading into The States, as I passed them heading into Canada. As one might expect, I was detained at the border while they checked to see if this old hippie had any life (rd. drugs) left in him.  Once they were convinced I could be a 'citizen' they let me across the border and on my way.

Not sure which is more unnerving, the moose or the locals?
The north side of Superior is stupendous.  Many memories floated back from 1975 when I first hitchhiked it as I drove west and north.  Every turn brought a spectacular vista rivaling the singular best on the Michigan side. I spent the afternoon swimming and this evening I'm nursing a sunburn.


Said bird
My body is sore from driving and playing (and packing from 5:00am until 2:30pm yesterday) so I am going to call it a day for writing.  Wireless has been sporadic so please be patient.  Thanks!
Paul & Molly hail from A2 - I met them at the top of Lake Superior where they were observing a little bird which wouldn't leave their feet


peace & love,


Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment