Sunday, August 22, 2010

An Event-Filled Week

Ferry leaving Seattle
Hello Friends ~

This week seems to have lasted an eternity with much happening on both the job front and travel!

Locks in Seattle
Salmon making their way up the 'steps' alongside the locks
an example of Everett whimsy
I spent some time in Seattle last weekend with Gary Konop, a friend who transplanted here from Japan about four years ago.  Gary worked in many places in Japan (in economic development) for the State of Michigan, the U.S. Commerce Department, and finally Boeing - in government relations with the Japanese government.  We got together both Saturday and Sunday for meals and sightseeing near his home near the sound. Traffic was more than I bargained for getting there and back - it's going to take some getting used to.  This should be made easier with a 60 mph speed limit on the expressways, where people abide by it for the most part. Very different from Detroit.  Somewhat calming, actually!

All day Monday was spent in the library where I finished my resume and got it out to a couple of potential jobs.

Colombia River Maritime Museum
Tuesday saw me on the highway at 5:00am driving down to the northern Oregon coast where I went to visit Craig and Terry Nern at their home on the coast.  Once I got off the interstate and made my way west to US101 the complexion of the vistas changed completely. Old growth forests gave way to wide rivers, which eventually gave way to the wide expanse of the Pacific. I stopped at the Colombia River Maritime Museum (www.crmm.org) in Astoria, OR, where I quickly became engrossed in the local history as it pertains to fishing and lumbering - and grew to understand and deeply respect the Colombia River and surroundings.  This museum is done incredibly well as museums go!

Examples of canned salmon labels
My visit with Craig and Terry was fantastic. Craig and I spent more time together than we have since knowing each other in East Lansing during the "turbulent sixties".  Our contribution to those times probably amounted to the effect of the "screams of ten thousand butterflies" but we lived them and here to bear witness.

Craig and Terry Nern
View out from the Nern's kitchen
We spent the better part of almost three days hiking, visiting with their friends, restauranting and a bicycle ride.  Interspersed between we caught up, and discussed the near-future.  The air is so dense there, the surrounding forests and ocean so primordial, that one is transported to an earlier era in America ~ if not an earlier era in mankind.  I am grateful for the opportunity to be introduced to this unique place by two very special people humbly respecting their surroundings.


Craig and Terry live below near the ocean
an alive sea creature - not edible
Thursday morning I made my way back to Everett.  I took the opportunity to travel some 'blue highways' through Oregon (pronounced "Or-gun") on my way east to Interstate 5 North.  It was much like Kentucky's back woods except with pristine, serpentine two-lanes.  The biggest surprise was amount of logging still taking place.  Take note in the pictures.

note the interior was once painted entirely in white
this activity was abundant in the areas I passed through
the Cascades about an hour east of Everett
Friday morning I visited two training centers at Boeing where I was told (off the record) that hiring at my age - despite doing well in a training community college-run program, would be very unlikely!  Somewhat disappointed, but appreciative of the candor (so I didn't waste $4,000 of my own money on the program) I have set my sights elsewhere.  Tomorrow (Monday) I meet with a recruiter in Seattle to discuss a job selling N.A. produce (vegetables) to Asian countries and later in the week I hope to schedule some more interviews.  Again, I have been spending a lot of time in the library working on posting my resume in various job sites.  USAJOBS is an interesting site.  Tons of fascinating jobs there - our tax dollars at work.

note the illumination provided by the cop spotlight!
About 7:00pm last night I took a wistful look east at the Cascades.  It was a clear evening and they were beckoning.  An hour and-a-half later the Blue Owl was climbing a two-track fire trail in the dark.  I didn't return home until about mid-night and the clear night with its clear air and the clear sound of a clear mountain stream cleared out my brain in a way its not been cleared in years!  How sweet.


Ciao ~ 


Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment