Saturday, August 14, 2010

Everett

these planes pick up complete assemblies for the planes being manufactured
I used to have a great-uncle Everett.  Married my great-aunt Lydia and raised my two cousins in Gladwin, MI, were great-aunt Lydia taught grade school.  My cousin used to ride his Ford tractor to school.  How fun.

less than 1/2 mile from Boeing plant
It's past noon on Saturday and I am sitting in the Everett Public Library (got my card yesterday) a quarter mile from the bay, overlooking the Naval Station Everett which is (itself) located on the northeast side of Puget Sound. It's home port for a US Navy Carrier Strike Group consisting of two destroyers, one nuclear-powered aircraft carrier and a Coast Guard buoy tender - all of which I can see from here!  There are about 350 sailors and civilians assigned to the station.

one of my new roommates
Toured the Boeing Plant Friday morning and thoroughly enjoyed it! The building is eleven stories high and can house Disneyland and still have twelve acres remaining! Everyone appeared so casual (as everyone in the Seattle area does).  It really appears to be a well-run facility.  It's like a new auto plant slowed down 9/10ths and inflated by a factor of 500.  The museum was less interesting though Mr. Boeing's life story is as impressive as any of the 'self-made' men of his time.

room 202
my house
As I said, I got a room.  Since then I have looked at a few others and determined that this is my best bet for the interim.  I am meeting more of my roommates as the days progress.  Most are working.  One is quite the alcoholic. Hey, there's room for everybody on the bus, right? Yesterday, I took a bicycle ride down by the docks (and Naval yard) and had a great time mingling with people and watching the sun set.  It really is quite an expereince.  The breeze coming off of the Pacific is soo soothing.  What an apt name for this ocean.

Integrety Motor Yachts Austrailia
this is real activity here
I have been completely redoing my resume replete with fancy, if not fanciful, descriptions of past experiences and expertise.  I have been exercising with very long bicycle rides and light weight lifting.  Yesterday, I got a flat tire on the way home from the docks and rode home on the flat.  It was like a run-flat.  It didn't destroy the tire, nor the rim at all.  I had to be careful though not to run over any bumps.

the bay
I couldn't understand what they were looking at...
So, this evening I am meeting a friend for dinner at Chinook's at Salmon Bay.  It is "a casual, high-energy seafood restaurant located in Seattle's Fishermen's Terminal".  I am looking forward, it'll be my first taste of seafood here!


then I saw this fascinating critter (not otter!)
hungry, indeed!!
Next week I will be going further down the coast to visit friends in Manzanita, OR, where they have recently built a home on the coast after moving out from Boise, ID.  Haven't lost sight of the end goal though which is to get a job!  I'll write again soon.

Cheers,

Chris


a very nice day ~ Good Nite!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Chris,
    I am so Jealous as I wish I was there with you. The pictures look great and you seem in good spirits. Enjoy the adventure as we all live through your eyes at the moment.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete